Community-based Therapeutic Recreation Program for People with a Brain or Spinal Cord Injury
This program, funded by the Florida Department of Health Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Program, provides an education and resource referral program to assist people with brain and spinal cord injuries in pursuing current recreation and leisure providers and available associated assistive services and technologies. The program includes an outreach, training and education; and the FDOA annual event – SportsAbility that showcases recreation opportunities for people of all abilities. People with a brain or a spinal cord injury have a variety of programs available through this program.
FDOA’s Resource Referral Network – Search for accessible, inclusive recreation resources.
As part of the partnership, FDOA develops and implements outreach and training on recreation assistive services and technologies designed to increase wellness and physical activity for people with brain and spinal cord injuries. Programs include providing information on recreation assistive services and technologies to the BSCIP staff. The training covers the importance of therapeutic recreation for people with brain and spinal cord injuries.
FDOA educates on the many health and wellness benefits of recreation and active leisure. Demonstrations of recreation assistive technology equipment and hands-on interactive activities are included in the training.
Education is offered at conferences throughout the State of Florida, such as the Brain Injury Association of Florida‘s Camp TBI that held annually in Central Florida.
Another key element in educating the public about recreational opportunities for people with brain and spinal cord injuries is FDOA’s annual SportsAbility event. More information
- Information on Active Leisure for People with a Brain Injury
- Information on Active Leisure for People with a Spinal Cord Injury
- Recreation Resource Referral Network – Find accessible inclusive recreation options throughout Florida (searchable by activity or county)
- Active Duty Military/Veterans In Florida With a Brain or Spinal Cord Injury:There is Help!
- The National Center on Physical Activity and Disability -
14 Week Program to a Healthier YOU!
- Florida Spinal Cord Injury Resource Center
- Information on Spinal Cord Injuries from Paralyzed Veterans of America